Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A Feed Reader Plugin for Pidgin

Pidgin is my favourite instant messaging client. I have been using it when it was still called gaim, mostly for Yahoo and XMPP messaging (like Twitter).

I recently discovered the Skype API Plugin which makes pidgin even more useful as we use skype chat a lot at my current work.

Now the only thing missing is a feed reader!

I am using SharpReader for my daily RSS fix, but having two different UIs pop up every now and again is beginning to be too disruptive.

Wouldn't it be great if my feed updates could be displayed in a pidgin chat window?

And no, I do not want to switch to Miranda. I am used to pidgin, and I am too old to change habits :-)

4 comments:

  1. I just get surprised for pidgin not have a RSS plugin like miranda.... there are so many redundant and useless plugins... why not a RSS????

    ReplyDelete
  2. so isn't http://inezha.com/ the right thing for u?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I needed a RSS/Atom plugin for Pidgin, so I created it:

    https://github.com/hrj/feedgin

    It's very basic right now, but does the job fine.

    ReplyDelete